Sunday, December 20, 2009

My Paint 100 Challenge

I seem to remember making a resolution at the beginning of this year to be more creative, specifically to create outside of class, and to post the results here. I was unsuccessful.

This year is coming to an end, and another will soon start. We shall see if i can be better with a similar resolution. Between now, December 20, 2009, and December 31, 2010, i shall paint a minimum of 100 6 x 8 paintings. It is my intention that the majority of these be from life, whether still life or en plein air. I will call this my "Paint 100 Challenge." To keep me honest, i will post the works here, successful or not.

Fellow students turned me onto the books of Kevin MacPherson, specifically  "Landscape Painting Inside and Out". While i was at it, i also bought "Fill Your Oil Painting with Light & Color". Having read both, i have become inspired and challenged.  Challenged to take on plein air painting, and inspired to work up to that by trying the techniques first on simple still lifes. If i did a painting a day for 100 days it would more closely fit his suggestion, but i know that i will be spending time away from home so that is impossible for me. I want to acquire a more painterly style, but just reading about it doesn't do it, one has to attempt to do it.

So there you go. Thats my challenge for the year. I now have to set my mind to carry it out.

No comments: