Saturday, December 26, 2009

Number Three

Continuing in my Paint 100 Challenge, here is number three. It took me a while to settle on the still life objects and their composition. I added and subtracted a tea kettle and a tea canister, and ended up just with the pot and mug.




After all that, i ended up spending less than an hour and a half painting before running out of steem. So endurance is another thing that i'll have to build up before taking on plein air subjects. My major error this time was not completing the painting of the pot before adding the detail of the pattern on the pot. Therefore, the whole shadow side of the pot is too light. Drawing errors crept in too; the mug is too narrow compared to the reference. And i didn't manage to get in the brightness of the reflections in the mug. I am not producing masterpieces, but i sure hope that the lessons learned from these studies will make my paintings better by the end of the one hundred. Another of those errors is to step back sooner-- maybe that will allow me to correct some drawing errors sooner.


No comments: